Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Quote Book

One of the my most prized possessions is my Quote Book (or rather Quote Books, since I am on my second one). Over the years, I have jotted down in this simple journal my favorite quotes from books, songs, poems, movies, lectures and even once from a graffitied wall. Revisiting these journals serves me as a type of therapy. There are long beautiful poems and intricate ponderings on morality. As well as lyrics from pop songs and excerpts from philosophy books.

Today, though, this silly (yet very wise) rhyme stood out:

"As you ramble on through life, brother,
Whatever your goal,
Keep your eye upon the doughnut,
And not upon the hole"


It's from an amazing book by Margaret Atwood, "The Blind Assassin", which has a plot line much more serious than this quote may indicate. 

But for today, lets be lighthearted and focus on the positive, sweet and sugary things in life. 


I am definitely stopping by the bakery on my way to work this morning. Happy hump-day, everyone!

xoxo,
Pilar
(image: here)

10 comments:

  1. haha, first of all that is a pretty fun quote. second, i love the quote journal idea!! i think i need to start one of those. i always come across beautiful words that i'll never remember later, but wish i could. it also must be a fantastic place of inspiration for you to stroll through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first blog read today and I'm chuckling already. Witty and smart!

    This is a great way to inspire and remind yourself of all the good things in life. I do something similar but mine becomes a catch-all for quotes, thoughts, grocery lists, hurried phone call recipes, etc. I carry mine everywhere just in case something pops up..

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. yum on donuts
    2, who doesn't love a good quote. i still remember my senior quote. - a day with out laughter is a day wasted.- charlie chaplin :)

    happy wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have synesthesia too?! that's awesome!! i can totally see how spacial sequencing would be hard for other people to understand. i'm usually quite open and honest about it, mostly because people have no idea what synesthesia is, and they're super fascinated by it when i tell them i have it. a lot of scientists believe that we are higher on the evolutionary chain than "normal" people, so we should be proud (even if it's frustrating sometimes). ;) i have a couple different types, one of which is having strong characteristics/emotions with colors. red is an absolutely evil color that makes me really anxious and angry. driving after dark is really hard because all i see are red tail lights surrounding me. all that red makes me so stressed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome quote! Funny and yet so true! You live in Costa Rica?! That sounds pretty amazing to me! xoxoxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. that cracks me up! i like the quote. and donuts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love that quote... funny and cute!!! have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi there, i stumbled in from katie belle's place.... enjoying your lovely eclectic blog.

    i wish i had kept up with my journals of snippets. i adore quotes and pithy sayings, but stopped collecting them. i've restarted online, last year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the quote book!!! show us more quotes please!!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts...